Thursday, March 24, 2011

Illness, I STAB AT THEE!

This was me, except for the robe...I prefer tighty whiteys





Been a bit since my last post I was met with a slight hiccup in my plans.  It happens to the best of us, the dreaded flu!  Aches, fever, chills, cough, chest congestion, you know all my favorite things...Needless to say it was a stubborn illness that persisted for quite a few days but I, in the end, prevailed.

That being said, I did get a very good three days in at the gym before I was sidelined.  As I mentioned in my last post I was able to increase the weights on all my exercises, even the leg exercises that have provided a little trouble for me.  I was extremely happy with my performance, and I even added in one new exercise to each of my routines.  I am really getting back into the swing of things, and it truly is a great feeling to get close to my previous levels of activity.  Even though I am seeing improvement I do still have some issues with exercises such as squatting, etc and I have just come to except that.  I'll just keep plodding along, doing the stretches and routines my physical therapist taught me and hope for the best.  As for the walking portion of my work outs I noticed no real regression or progression, just kinda stayed in the same place.  I only increased the inclines used slightly, and I stayed at the 3.3 mph I had worked up too (and not reported on in this blog about my progress LOL).  As for the days I was stuck at home I did get in one good work out with my kettlebells, oh those magical kettlebells!  It's a great way to combine weight training and get a little cardio at the same time, although it did result in me coughing for near five minutes straight.

As for the adjusting my diet thing, it's a work in progress.  Going with gradual changes towards a healthier diet.  I found I enjoy raw spinach leaf salads so that's an option for me, and I can eat the hell out of some baby carrots.  I also decided to give up junk food snacks, oh those bundles of sweet deliciousness.  I have replaced them with almonds, which so far I enjoy just as much.  Not sure what vegetables I will add in this week, and honestly I am not excited about the prospect.  I love to eat, and second only to eating is drinking beer while I eat.  I truly do have my work cut out for me in this endeavor.

Mouthful of nuts...that's what she said.

Nonetheless my grand experiment continues, I am back full force in the gym this week after my bout with microscopic foes.  I will have to adjust my normal schedule and cover a day on the weekend but that shouldn't be a problem (weekends are normally just reserved for neighborhood walks and light home work outs).  Other than that things couldn't better, save for one slight problem.  Remember the stinky old man I discussed a few posts back, well apparently he has a son and his stink is full on horrid as well.  Oh well, time to go the gym and battle the forces of stenchitude.
Police sketch of the culprit

No comments:

Post a Comment