Monday, March 14, 2011

Survival of the Fattest

The first week has come and gone and I survived the onslaught called gym.  I wrapped up the week with a simple home work out (I have various sets of kettlebells at my disposal and a few other plates to use for exercises).   I tried to hit as many muscle groups as I could, getting close to a total body regimen.  All in all it was a decent work out, nothing to brag about although I did not get in my full three mile walk.  Missing my walk bothered me a little but as the weekend progressed it was probably for the better, as I was really feeling the soreness in my ankle.
Magical Kettlebells




Since I have yet to start my second week I figured I would just spend a little time discussing the positives and negatives I gleaned from my first week.  The first and foremost negative, I am horribly out of shape as far as cardio is concerned but this was to be expected.  The second negative would be that while my ankle is holding up well I do notice an increasing stiffness and soreness as the week progressed.  I am hoping this stiffness and soreness dissipates over time as my body adjusts to the procedure performed and the increase in physical activity.  As for the positives to my return, I have not lost a large of amount of strength in my absence.  In just one week's worth of time I saw an enormous leap in strength and muscular endurance.  And as I mentioned earlier my ankle is holding up through all of this so I do consider that another positive.  This week will be the real test, I plan to increase the weights on all of my exercises and increase the incline on my walking (I might even add another 5 minutes or so on the dreaded elliptical).  Also after reading The Running Viking's post on nutrition I might adjust my diet a little.  I already have a high protein diet to compliment my weight lifting (tuna, salmon, cottage cheese, yogurt and the occasional peanut butter) so I guess it couldn't hurt to add in some more veggies and maybe a little fiber.  Here's to surviving, and here's to progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment